Clostridium difficile infection is a severe gastrointestinal infection caused by toxins released from the spore-forming bacteria Clostridium difficile (C. difficile).
Although commonly thought of as a hospital-acquired infection, community-associated cases are becoming more prevalent in Australia and around the world. People exposed to hospital environments and residential aged care settings are particularly at risk.
Strict adherence to infection prevention and control measures are essential to prevent transmission of C. difficile in both hospital and community settings.
At the end of this module participants will be able to: